Thursday, March 19, 2015

Being a Wife



I love being a wife. I remember watching the mistakes of my mother and the other women in my family and thinking how awful it must be to hate being a so-called traditional wife. I loved caring for children and it took some getting used to when my stepchildren were married, and on their own. I missed the large weekend breakfasts cooked with the easy listening station on the hi-fi stereo (it took us a while to embrace technology), to gently wake the other's in the household to the smell of pancakes and bacon and the sound of Journey emitting from the old stereo.

The pride I felt before Jim retired and would come home to a spotless home and dinner either cooking or waiting for him was part of a need to please him. I knew I was different from most everyone else in my family or friends. While my friends were trying to get me to go to the club or bar I was declining and staying home with Jim.  Some friends I lost because I was not willing to go out and get drunk at a bar.

Instead, I took that time I could have spent at a club or sitting and bitching about my marriage to other women (which my old friends seemed to love to do) and learned to be a great cook. I learned to quilt, crochet, knit, and fix computers. Fast forward 10-15 years, and I am the only one still married to the same guy and proud of it.

I have a husband that cannot stand to be away from me and I kid you not will not allow me out of bed to cook, clean, or have any stress when I am sick (makes me tear up knowing I chose to be his). If I say, 'I don't feel like cooking' he goes for take out or cooks dinner for the two of us (lucky I know).

If I could find a way to show the women I know outside of blog land, how devoting yourself to your husband (providing he is good one), I would. But, I now that the world we live in is not kind to wives that take pride in their husbands. I know this, because I have been told that I let my husband control me (I beg to differ!). Jim is a man that follows his own rules, if I can't do it, he doesn't. To me that is the difference. He expects no more out of me, than he does out of himself.

So when I see a world that expects an imbalance of power in marriage and divorce is so easily achieved through a lack of communication and disrespect I know that I am where I need to be. I am by his side forever his faithfully.  

9 comments:

  1. Love This! I too find myself in the same position. My husband and I like to call ourselves the "abnormal " ones in the family. I like the traditional ways and so does he. Loving your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon,

      Thanks for commenting. I find that sometimes we have to go against the grain to be truly happy.

      Kathy

      Delete
  2. It's true now a days women love to bash and disrespect their husbands and I have also lost a lot of friends because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffany,

      It is sad the way society teaches us to disregard our spouses and complain to others instead of the person we promised to love.

      Hugs,
      Kathy

      Delete
  3. Hey Kathy,

    I totally agree with this. And just like you, I'm deeply content in my marriage and I love to be pleasing to my husband. To any critics, I make no apologies - I am very happily married and they are just miserable harpies, lol.

    I'm also a fellow quilter and I love that song by Journey. :)

    hugs,
    Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cali,

      The critics never really bother me, but ignorance does. Ignorance seems to have spread like wildfire in the world these days.

      Glad I found another quilter!
      Hugs,
      Kathy

      Delete
  4. Hi Kathy, what a lovely post and I agree. Really love your last paragraph.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy,
    I love your post. I so agree that pleasing my man makes me very happy. The summer we married MANY years ago, three other couples in our family married as well. We are the only ones still happily together. I love your summary last paragraph as well.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy,

    Such a good post. I feel like the odd one out sometimes with circles of women who don't respect their husband or refuse to even check in with them when they go somewhere. I love it when my husband refers to me as a 1950's wife. He saw an article on being a good wife that the guys at work were laughing at and he was thinking to himself, "my wife does all those things." I thought it was pretty cool.
    Megan

    ReplyDelete