Saturday, March 14, 2015

No Tech Day Rule

As I have mentioned, Jim has a rule. Well, he has way more than one. But, today I am going to talk about one.

Each and every Sunday (no, not for religious reasons) I am not allowed to go on the internet (yes, this one sucks!), nor am I allowed to pick up my cell phone (house phone is fine). I know that if were to mention this rule to people I know outside of the internet, I would get that shock look and comments like: "I would never let a man control me". These words are what is often times spit out when men show dominance over women, consensual of course.

Oh the horror!

However, as many of you have (or hope to have) Dd/ttwd in you marriage, I know I can talk about the rules we don't discuss outside of our homes. At first, I remember when this rule (I call it the "no tech day rule") was first implemented. I thought, how in the world am I going to explain to my family and friends that I cannot answer the cell phone or Skype when asked? It was simple, I didn't. I just learned to say 'no' to them. I think this was part of why he wanted me to take one day off. That and he wanted me all to himself (perfectly fine with me).


Does this mean I am 100% okay with this rule? No, I am not. To say otherwise would make me a liar. There are Sunday's when all I want to do is stay in my pajamas and catch up on my favorite blogs. But, I know what he is doing. He is making sure I give my body and mind one day of relaxation. I am free to do anything I want on that day, just not cell and internet. Otherwise this will happen:

Not the good kind either

So tell me, what is a rule that you must follow that is hard to follow or understand? Feel free to email me if you would rather remain anonymous. 

11 comments:

  1. It is a great rule, but so hard to do. I have always known that love is in the doing. Your hoh is mapping out a plan for weekly renewal and time together. We have a no internet rule in the evenings. Abide by this rule or have real trouble sitting through a favorite TV show. I understood that rule quickly.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith,

      As usual, you see the whole picture when I am still being stubborn.

      Hugs,
      Kathy

      Delete
  2. I definitely understand this rule. Since Matthew and I lived apart and one or the other were quite often on the road, he had a no internet rule when we were together. I had to make sure I even planned when I paid bills online. The only exception was if my mother called and needed internet help.

    Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat,

      Thank you for the comment. I just came back from visiting your blog. Lots of good info there!

      Kathy

      Delete
  3. I think it's a good rule, it's good to give yourself a break from technology, and of course, it gives you the opportunity to focus on each other :)

    We haven't been practicing Dd for some time now. We are slowly bringing elements of ttwd back, but I doubt we will go back to Dd as before. One rule I did have though, was no phone/internet in bed on nights he was away. Of course, I don't do this when he's here, but could stay awake far too late checking blogs etc when he wasn't. That was a hard rule for me, and an often repeated offence! LoL

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand the need for this rule. To be truthful I need it imposing here, but it isn't and so I don't stop. (But to be fair, neither does he!)
    Huffing and eye rolling is my hardest, it just happens before I have had chance to get any control over my body. I'm too used to responding in this way, I know it has to change, I know it's rude, but it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janey,

      Lets hope your H does not see my post and give himself ideas.

      Honestly, it is still a struggle for me to prepare for No Tech Day. However, once that day is in full swing, it is very easy to follow his rule. It is just the mindset that is my problem.

      Kathy

      Delete
  5. Just come across your blog and glad i have.

    Its a silly thing really, but for me its not being allowed to read what he calls trashy magazines (anything that is about celebrity culture) television programs that are reality based, like Big Brother.

    Its not so much that its something i really, really want to read or watch...but yeah sometimes i would just like to...just as well light, non brain taxing entertainment...if that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tori,

      Yes, it totally makes sense.

      Oh boy! I would have a hard time giving up my TMZ.

      Delete
  6. I understand how hard it is to put my phone down. Gabe has a rule about me not picking it up on the morning before devotions and exercise. It's really hard for me. I have already received two spankings for it because I was caught with it in my hand! Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Megan,

    It was hard for me too. But, I promise it gets easier!

    ReplyDelete