Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Rant


This world we live in gives young people a preset pathway to shallowness, vanity, and lack of empathy. As a Teenager, I remember feeling like I was in a twisted episode of Alice in Wonderland whenever I tried to hang out with people my own age. I was left with a view of teenagers as nothing more than big babies incapable of acting as normal human beings. Of course, this was 18 or so years ago. My how things have changed. It got worse.

Each day I log in to my personal Facebook page and have those moments of: 'if I was your mother, I would...". As usual, I bite my tongue roll my eyes and think time will teach the lesson. But then, there are those moments I simply CANNOT bite my tongue. Those moments when, I see a 17 year old girl drop out of high school, get a tattoo, sleep around and brag, and get into drugs, and no one does a thing except to excuse her behavior as "She is just young".

I think to myself, what the hell happened to this world, why is this okay? We all know what is, but we don't want to discuss it, because of differing opinions on, you guessed it: DISCIPLINE.



As a child, I craved structured discipline. Those around me did not know what real discipline was, they knew what abuse was, but not discipline. So it was up to me to discipline myself, which for a young girl, was not to bad. I would ground myself, avoid things I loved if I caught myself lying, or doing something that was frown on by my grandmother (who was he only sane person in my family). I would ask my mother, if she should be doing something, if I thought it was something sneaky, wrong, or dangerous (an all to common thing for her). But, here's the thing, I was Five when I started do that.

So, while I understand that youth sometimes means ignorance, I am at a loss for how we as a society excuse the behavior of the young. When did it become okay to stop teaching young people to act as good human beings? When did it become taboo to instill structure, discipline, and to expect greatness?

I know I am posing most of this as questions, but I would really like to know the answer.


8 comments:

  1. I think society as it is today is a lot to blame, the lack of discipline in schools and at home, im certainly not saying we should go back to the time when it was acceptable to beat ones children at all.

    But we have gone completely the other way, where children have more 'rights' than teachers and parents, i worked in a school for years, the verbal abuse i received at times from pupils was disgusting.....and some of the parents when informed of their childs behaviour were simply not interested.

    As a mother to a 17 year old boy and a 12 year old girl, i believe its important to instill in them self worth, and self respect, along with manners, and behaving with dignity, yeah made my fair share of mistakes as a parent, but they know better than to speak or treat me with any disrespect.

    I think that is a huge problem today....there is no respect.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tori,

      Sorry, my response is late! I see that within some of my step-grandchildren and my friends grandchildren. There is a lack of respect for themselves and others. I think we all focused on not being like our own parents but, forgot we turned out a as result of that parenting we didn't like (not all of it though!)

      Hugs,
      Kathy

      Delete
  2. Kathy,
    I can hardly tolerate the behavior of young people now. I don't understand how the parents can sit by and let their child be disrespectful and out of control. There is no excuse for it. It is a reflection on their parenting and the "freedom" society as a whole today.
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan,

      My most painful moments of biting my tongue is always at Walmart. I am sure you understand what poor behavior is all to common there, with kids.

      Hugs,
      Kathy

      Delete
  3. Hi Kathy, I am totally with you. I also agree it's a reflection on society as a whole today.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz,

      Yes, it is a snapshot of it all. I just hope it gets better instead of worse.

      Hugs,
      Kathy

      Delete
  4. A friend posted something like this the other day. Another parent brushed off some horrible behavior by 7th graders with "they're middle school girls". That may be why they didn't think through their actions but it is your job as a parent to correct and teach. Makes me feel old and I'm not quite 30!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I am in my early/mid 30's and feel old when it comes to watching bad behavior by children.

      Delete